Wednesday, November 4, 2009

What an amazing weekend...

This past weekend may have been my favorite weekend in Cambodia so far. However, looking back, I realize that I say that about all my weekends, at least until I get to the next one. They just keep getting better and better. There has to be a point where they will plateau but I hope that doesnt come soon.

Anyway, this past weekend was not only Halloween (my favorite holiday ever) but also the Water Festival so I had a 4-day weekend (Sat-Tues). The Water Festival is supposed to celebrate the end of the rainy season and usually people who live in Phnom Penh go out into the provinces and people from the provinces travel into Phnom Penh (don't ask me why, this just is). So the population of Phnom Penh swells by the millions and its crammed with people, which makes for a fun time usually. I, however, made no travel plans as I wanted to see what the Water Festival was like in the city. I had heard that there are boat races on the river and fireworks at night and it sounded like a fun time.

I ended up hanging out with the Marines most of the weekend. I met them on Friday night at their Halloween house party and after that, they just kept inviting me to go out. This was actually quite nice because I got to walk around a lot at night without feeling unsafe (when you have 4 large Marines with you, you feel pretty protected). We did a lot of things, many of which will not be detailed here, but it was an awesome time. One thing I learned- never argue with the Marines about directions. You will lose.

So by hanging out with the Marines, I found out about the Marine Ball. I bought my ticket (Nov 21) and I have a Marine as a date so now I just need a dress. I am terribly excited about it. I will keep you updated on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment