Monday, November 30, 2009

I have done it...

I have bought a moto. And it's bright green...I figured I didnt stick out enough, what with being white and all in Asia, so I thought bright green would be the color to go with. (Actually, I was just concerned about not being able to find a black moto back in a crowd). I think I'm the only white girl in Phnom Penh with a bright green moto, so if you happen to be driving, please watch out for me. Thanks. I have yet to take pictures of it (Ive been a little busy trying to learn to drive it) but as soon as I do, I will post them. Last Thursday, Joan (Perry's wife) and I went moto shopping and she also bought pretty much the same moto, except her's is not the cool green (its black). I did not bring enough money on that day to buy a moto (I was just browsing) but then I found the bright green moto (its a 2006 Honda Wave 125S) and I had to have it. So I gave the guy some money to hold it and I picked it up yesterday with Joan. I honestly wasn't quite sure where the moto shop was and consequently got really lost on the way back to work. I ended up on the outskirts of Phnom Penh, almost in the provinces, so I pulled over and turned off the moto and consulted my map. I figured I had to turn around and eventually I would run into something familiar so I was going to do that but I couldn't get my moto started again. I'm sitting here, turning the key and nothing is happenening. So I motion to one of the guys at the wall and he comes over and he...pushes the start button. That's right...its an electric start. I'm such a blonde sometimes. But eventually I made it back to work and I was just proud of myself for driving in traffic here and not dying. I've had the moto for 2 days now, and have not died yet, so I think I'm doing pretty well.

Thanksgiving here was pretty good. A few women from the Embassy invited me to their houses when they found out that I was, for all intents and purposes, an orphan. And it was lovely because they actually had 2 (not one, but TWO) real turkeys (shipped in from the states of course...gotta love the Embassy people), ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, deviled eggs, and lots of other yummy stuff that I like. The Marines were there as well as the Army people so I knew a lot of people. The Army guys invited me to go with them to the next Embassy house that they were going to (its like a Thanksgiving feast crawl I guess...?) so I went with them. It was good there too...lots of food. Later that night I had a nice dinner with some friends at their house (non-embassy) but also really delicious. So it was a good day, all in all.

So today, they decided it would be a good day to tear off the roof basically of the place that I am working...they say that they are "fixing" a leak in the roof but it is going to take them 10 days. 10 days for a leak?! In the meantime, I get to listen to non-stop sawing, drilling, and hammering. It is driving me insane. O well. C'est la vie, oui?

God bless Cambodia.

No comments:

Post a Comment